I talked to Mac, the lead singer of the Wigan-based band Ravellas.
1. First off, who are you and what genre of music do you make?
We are the 4 piece Ravellas from Wigan. We’re somewhere in between Indie Pop and Alternative rock.
2. If you had to describe your music with a color, what would it be?
I reckon it would be a pastel pink or a dark maroon.
3. What’s the biggest struggle you have when it comes to creating?
My biggest struggle when it comes to creating is mainly how good every other band is at the minute. It can either motivate you to write better and bigger or it can send you into a big shame well of depression because nothing’s as good as your mates bands new tune.
4. If you could play any show in the world, what would it be?
Glasto, Pyramid Stage, Saturday.
5. What do you consider your biggest musical success?
Obviously the amount of plays Puppettes has hit was a massive but pleasant surprise so hopefully, we can keep it up.
6. What inspired you to start making music?
I think music is just a big part of our lives and at the time when we started Ravellas, there was so much dire music around Wigan we just thought we’d give it a go.
7. If you could hear any person living or dead sing to you, who would it be?
Jeff Buckley or MJ
8. Who, aside from any band or musician, is your biggest influence?
I quite like Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant for how far they went with The Office and Extras. They took English comedy and made it Global. Plus Karl Pilkington’s a legend
9. What’s your favorite book?
10. What do you like to do other than music?
Long walks on the beach.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist?
Arctic Monkeys then The Smiths, The other 3 would probably say a completely different 2.
12. What’s one piece of advice you have for young musicians?
Just make sure everything you put out is really really good. You can make mistakes and keep learning from it but just make sure you’re happy with everything you do. Even down to little things like your artwork. If that’s done on Paint people aren’t gonna take you on. If you can’t do something well or professional looking try and think of a different way or more importantly cheap way to do something just as effective.
13. Lastly, what’s your lucky number?
6 has never done me any harm but to be fair neither has 1 2 4 5 or 9.
You can follow Ravellas on Instagram at @weareravellas and check them out on Spotify.