Nick from Adult Books answered 13 questions for me.
1. First off, who are you and what genre of music do you make?
I’m Nick and I play guitar and sing in Adult Books. We used to be a punk band and now we’re not so much.
2. If you had to describe your music with a color, what would it be?
3. What’s the biggest struggle you have when it comes to creating?
Probably finishing songs. Hooks come to me pretty naturally, but the hard part is putting together a fully formed song that moves somewhere and holds my interest.
4. If you could play any show in the world, what would it be?
One time we got asked to play on a glacier in Iceland. We never heard back from them after we asked them to pay for our flights, but I imagine that would have been pretty cool.
5. What do you consider your biggest musical success?
Our last record, “Running from the Blows.” It was our first full length, and I’m really proud of the way it turned out.
6. What inspired you to start making music?
I always loved music as a kid. When I was 12, my stepdad and I both got guitars for Christmas and all I wanted was to be better than him. That was probably my strongest initial driving force.
7. If you could hear any person living or dead sing to you, who would it be?
8. Who, aside from any band or musician, is your biggest influence?
My grandparents. Their lives are seriously like something out of Grapes of Wrath and my biggest problem is our WiFi cutting out at home.
9. What’s your favorite book?
Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
10. What do you like to do other than music?
Surf, read and travel. But when I’m at home I spend about 90% of my time thinking about music.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist?
12. What’s one piece of advice you have for young musicians?
Make music for yourself. Write the songs you want to hear, not the songs you think others want to hear.
13. Lastly, what’s your lucky number?
Be sure check out Adult Books on Spotify and iTunes. You can follow them on instagram at @adultbooks.