I sat down on Skype with Michael from Flagship. Here’s what he had to say.
1. First off, who are you and what genre of music do you make?
I personally am Michael, but the band that I’m in is called Flagship and the music that we make is indie-alternative.
2. If you had to describe your music with a color, what would it be?
Oh, man. That’s hard. White?
3. What’s the biggest struggle you have when it comes to creating?
I think that it can be that sometimes you have to be patient with what you do. Sometimes things are just not working and you have to understand the timing of creating. You know, sometimes you just need a minute. Sometimes a song’s just not gonna happen and you have to wait a day or two. So that’s kind of the biggest thing is just understanding that you’ll have good times and also bad times.
4. If you could play any show in the world, what would it be?
Well, I’d actually love to play on Saturday Night Live. I’d love to be on television and play and be a part of something like that. That’s so exciting for me.
5. What do you consider your biggest musical success?
Success is a very complex idea to me. You know, I’ve actually kind of abandoned success and learned to live in the current moment. But whenever we got some music on alt radio on sirius xm was one of our biggest successes thus far.
6. What inspired you to start making music?
You know, I don’t think anything actually inspired me to do it, I think that it was just something that I loved and I felt like I had to do it, so it’s just kind of what you do. It’s what you want to do, and you do it. It just came out of me very naturally.
7. If you could hear any person living or dead sing to you, who would it be?
Probably John Lennon.
8. Who, aside from any band or musician, is your biggest influence?
Let me think about that one. That one’s hard. Oh, god. I don’t have an answer for that because I haven’t been influenced by that many people other than musicians. Sorry, I’m like having a problem. I can’t figure it out. Ah, shit. I gotta pass on this one.
9. What’s your favorite book?
Why can’t I think of things? Why don’t I like things? I’m out of my damn mind. I’m just gonna say any coloring book because I like to create.
10. What do you like to do other than music (and coloring)?
I love going to the movies, it’s actually one of my favorite things to do. I love getting lost in a film and I love eating. I love eating.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist?
Probably the Beatles for sure, for me. They’re my favorite band.
12. What’s one piece of advice you have for young musicians?
Honestly, just don’t stop. You might believe that things can happen quickly for yourself, especially in your career, but you just need to continue going. I think most people that “fail” are people that just stop, you know. People that keep going are usually the ones that have success.
13. Lastly, what’s your lucky number?
My lucky number is 11. It’s a good number, I like that number.
Any last words?
Before I die?
Yeah, like that, or before the interview dies.
Haha, you know, just take care of yourself out there everyone. It’s a hard world and you gotta do your best.
You can follow Flagship on Instagram at @flagshipofficial. Be sure to check them out on Spotify.