CLICK HERE TO LISTEN WHILE YOU READ
1. First off, who are you and what genre of music do you make?
Bryan Nicol. I play in the band Dead Ghosts. If I had to slap a sticker on it, I’d probably just call it Rock n, Roll. I know it’s pretty cliche but I don’t really think about it all that much.
2. If you had to describe your music with a color, what would it be?
3. What’s the biggest struggle you have when it comes to creating?
That’s a good question. We’ve been a band for almost 10 years now so there’s lots of times when it feels stale and we need to get the juices flowin’ again. The biggest struggle sometimes is just getting on the same page. We all listen to different shit, and have different direction ideas so practice tends to be pretty scatterbrained at times.
4. If you could play any show in the world, what would it be?
I think we’d love to play any show south of the border. We’re Canadian, so we need working visas to play there. It’s been a real struggle to try and get everything sorted to get down.
5. What do you consider your biggest musical success?
Our biggest success in music is definitely our first single on Milk n’ Herpes Records (best label name ever!). It was back in the myspace days, 2007 I think. We were just drunk kids fucking around in our parent’s basement but we put a few recordings online and this guy messaged us within a day, asking to do a record. It was a dream come true.
6. What inspired you to start making music?
Growing up it was the classic shit; Stones, Zep, Sabbath. But then we got into more 70’s punk and stuff like the Stooges, and Velvets.
7. If you could hear any person living or dead sing to you, who would it be?
8. Who, aside from any band or musician, is your biggest influence?
We used to watch all those Sergio Leone movies back in the day and say “It’d be rad to make music for movies like this.” I think they seeped into our psyche, especially early on.
9. What’s your favorite book?
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Beautiful Southern Gothic by Carson Mcullers.
10. What do you like to do other than music?
Simple pleasures. I’m usually reading, watching movies, or hanging with my friends
11. Who is your favorite musical artist?
My favourite band is the Stones.
12. What’s one piece of advice you have for young musicians?
Start a band with your friends. Don’t force it. Have fun and play as many shows as you can. Don’t worry about a manager or how to get buzz.
13. Lastly, what’s your lucky number?
You can follow Dead Ghosts on Instagram at @deadghosts. Be sure to check them out on Spotify.