1. First off, who are you and what genre of music do you make?
My name is Carly Comando and I play keyboard and sing in Slingshot Dakota. There is no genre that our band fits neatly into, but we are an indie rock band based out of Bethlehem, PA.
2. If you had to describe your music with a color, what would it be?
Our music is a tie-dyed blend of pink, black and green.
3. What’s the biggest struggle you have when it comes to creating?
My biggest struggle is getting what I hear in my head out into the real world. It’s taking an idea and constructing the song as close as possible to the internal version I’ve created.
4. If you could play any show in the world, what would it be?
We will play with Pearl Jam one day.
5. What do you consider your biggest musical success?
My biggest musical success is never giving up.
6. What inspired you to start making music?
I have always loved playing music but it wasn’t until Slingshot Dakota’s formation that I thought about doing it full time. Initially, with different band members, we discussed doing this band as a career. I had never even thought of that being a possibility but once the idea sank in, I fell in love with it. Between touring and creating for Slingshot, and scoring commercials for film/tv, music is a part of my life every day.
7. If you could hear any person living or dead sing to you, who would it be?
My mom’s voice is the best voice and I could listen to her sing forever. She has a tendency to sing everything with a booming vibrato, so even if she’s reciting a car commercial song, it sounds incredibly epic.
8. Who, aside from any band or musician, is your biggest influence?
My old boss, Dave Bermejo, has been inspiring me ever since I was a teenager. He’s given me incredible advice and proved that you can be a successful, confident business owner. He also makes the best food ever and I wish he’d move to PA.
9. What’s your favorite book?
I recently borrowed The Secret by Rhonda Byrne from the library and have already re-read it twice.
10. What do you like to do other than music?
I love walking in nature and going on long hikes with Tom (my husband/drummer of SD) anywhere. I love food and recently started making bagels. Cooking and nature both allow me to get into a meditative state and I also get the reap the benefits of food and exercise!
11. Who is your favorite musical artist?
I don’t have one favorite musical artist, but my heavy rotation bands include Wye Oak, Petal, Cloakroom, Death Cab, David Bazan, and recently, Mannequin Pussy. We also recently toured with Ratboys and Kississippi and they’re both amazing.
12. What’s one piece of advice you have for young musicians?
Stop thinking you need to do and achieve everything you see other bands doing and achieving via Facebook and social media. Everyone has their own path; go forge your own. Go out into the world and get good at your art and build a fanbase authentically.
13.Lastly, what’s your lucky number?
I wish I knew 🙂
Be sure to follow Slingshot Dakota on Instagram at @slingshotdakota, and don’t forget to check them out on iTunes and Spotify.