1. First off, who are you and what genre of music do you make?
I’m Alex, and I sing and play guitar in rock band ‘Columbus’.
2. If you had to describe your music with a color, what would it be?
Probably a dark navy blue.
3. What’s the biggest struggle you have when it comes to creating?
I personally struggle the most with perfectionism and judging or questioning my creative ideas. It’s very easy when making music to compare yourself to other musicians and their great songs and critique your own drafts in comparison. When writing I try to limit critiquing my ideas until I have a bunch on the page!
4. If you could play any show in the world, what would it be?
Either a full Wembley stadium or a crowded sweaty basement to 80 kids with a bad vocal PA and one mic.
5. What do you consider your biggest musical success?
Columbus did our first international tour last year in the UK, and that was a huge thing for us. It was such an amazing experience to be playing music overseas, and we can’t wait to do it again.
6. What inspired you to start making music?
I started playing guitar when I was 6 years old, as my parents encouraged me to start a musical instrument. Daniel, who drums in Columbus, and I started jamming in his parent’s living room when we were 10, playing Green Day songs. We started writing our own songs soon after and we were inspired by those bands, but also how much fun we were having.
7. If you could hear any person living or dead sing to you, who would it be?
A tie between David Bowie and Brendon Urie. I definitely wouldn’t mind a private concert from either.
8. Who, aside from any band or musician, is your biggest influence?
I’m heavily influenced by a few ultra-runners like Dean Karnazes and Scott Jurek. These guys have run 200-mile races non-stop, and show incredible determination, courage, and commitment. They inspire me to work hard and stay focused and determined on my goal of improving as a musician and a writer.
9. What’s your favorite book?
I can’t really pick a favourite, but I just finished reading Peter Singer’s ‘Animal Liberation’ and it was a great discussion of the ethical considerations of the modern use of animals in society.
10. What do you like to do other than music?
I love eating tasty food, drinking beers with friends, travel and running.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist?
When asked this question I often say my favourite band is Turnover, because I’ve loved everything they’ve ever released.
12. What’s one piece of advice you have for young musicians?
It’s a long way to the top if you wanna rock n’ roll (but make music your 1# priority and you just might get there).
13. Lastly, what’s your lucky number?
You can follow Columbus on Instagram at @columbus_bne, and be sure to check them out on iTunes and Spotify!