1. First off, who are you and what genre of music do you make?
Hi :3 My name is Justin Cheromiah! I am the founder of the project, High Sunn. Hmm. I would say that my music would fit into the dream pop or jangle pop tag.
2. If you had to describe your music with a color, what would it be?
Pastel purple! The light color perfectly illustrates the youthfulness and purity in my songs of love, rejection, and wonder. Purple seems so innocent and cute. Haha.
3. What’s the biggest struggle you have when it comes to creating?
I guess it would have to be that some of my demos would turn out to be similar to another song. Since I have a huge discography, it is bound for a song to become a copy of my old song. Recently, I have been trashing several song ideas due to its similarity to my past works. I seem to recycle the same writing formula.
4. If you could play any show in the world, what would it be?
A show in Japan. The dream lineup would be High Sunn, 揺らぎ, youthmemory, for tracy hyde, and renge! Hopefully, this wish comes true.
5. What do you consider your biggest musical success?
My biggest success is definitely the release of my first studio ep, “Hopeless Romantic”. Being signed to PNKSLM and getting it pressed on vinyl has fulfilled my yearning. It’s crazy to think that after 30 or so releases, I would finally come out with a studio production. The ep has brought many opportunities as well. Being featured on DIY, Stereogum, and Consequence of Sound were a huge surprise to me. It blew me away. I am so happy that I have so many loyal supporters. Without them, none of this would have happened.
6. What inspired you to start making music?
Well, seeing my favorite musicians perform made me want to be in that position. As I started becoming my confident about myself, I started pushing towards that dream of becoming a musician. Soon enough, I began to write and release my own compositions in 8th grade. I am a Junior in high school now. It has been a crazy journey. My family and friends made it possible.
7. If you could hear any person living or dead sing to you, who would it be?
Yukiko Okada. She is literally the best J-Pop singer. Sadly, she took her own life at such a young age. 😦
8. Who, aside from any band or musician, is your biggest influence?
Honestly, a lot of manga authors inspire me. People like Tsukasa Fushimi and Naoshi Komi come out with so much quality material! Their hard work and complete devotion to writing push me to keep on doing what I love. Also, their take on love really influences some of the songs’ lyrics.
9. What’s your favorite book?
Nisekoi. I read all 229 chapters in three days. It made me cry 😉 Not as much as Koe No Katachi though.
10. What do you like to do other than music?
I usually watch anime, play osu or csgo, skate, read manga and stuff that a regular high schooler would do.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist?
It used to be either Craft Spells or Beach Fossils, but at the moment, it has to be pasteboard. The duo creates vividly dreamy sounds. The smooth and melodic tones they ring out really moves me. They make the most beautiful music. When will a second album come out!?!??!?
12. What’s one piece of advice you have for young musicians?
Don’t stop making music. Don’t give up. Don’t try to sound like another band. Make what you want to make. Listen to your heart instead of your mind.
13. Lastly, what’s your lucky number?
You can follow High Sunn on Instagram at @highsunnband, and be sure to check their music on Spotify and iTunes!