1. First off, who are you and what genre of music do you make?
Zach Loates, guitarist/vocalist for Mayfield. We play Melodic-Hardcore from Ottawa, Ontario.
2. If you had to describe your music with a color, what would it be?
Evergreen. We’re extremely Canadian, and it’s the only color left when the land is covered in snow. Our music is always grounded in nature.
3. What’s the biggest struggle you have when it comes to creating?
Making sure that every second in a song has a purpose, and everyone in the band is happy with it.
4. If you could play any show in the world, what would it be?
Warped Tour. We grew up listening to bands play on Warped, and we started going to it as soon as we could drive a car. Also, nothing beats playing outdoors.
5. What do you consider your biggest musical success?
Finishing our LP last month. We’ve been looking forward to making a full-length ever since we started Mayfield. With the help of our record producer, Sam Guaiana, we made something we are very proud of.
6. What inspired you to start making music?
Other bands. Whether it was watching Blink-182 on television, or seeing local bands perform at the high school, all of it inspired me to pick up a guitar.
7. If you could hear any person living or dead sing to you, who would it be?
8. Who, aside from any band or musician, is your biggest influence?
My two older brothers.
9. What’s your favorite book?
Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. 99% of my life philosophy is in that book.
10. What do you like to do other than music?
Camping, fishing, cottaging, traveling, building things, sitting with my dog, drinking beer and eating great food with my family and friends.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist?
12. What’s one piece of advice you have for young musicians?
Don’t lose sight of why you started in the first place.
13. Lastly, what’s your lucky number?
- The street number for our house, jam space, and little piece of paradise.
You can follow Mayfield on Instagram at @mayfield613, and be sure to check them out on iTunes and Spotify!