1. First off, who are you and what genre of music do you make?
I’m Kenny Torres, I play bass and vocals in the rock band Youth In Revolt!
2. If you had to describe your music with a color, what would it be?
I think our music’s color would be red. To me, red is bold, vibrant, passionate and aggressive! Just like our music.
3. What’s the biggest struggle you have when it comes to creating?
Writing the right lyrics, in my opinion. You can have the most profound, meaningful lyrics, but then when you start doing pre-pro to a melody and hear your vocals behind the music, some words can sound weird or have too many syllables for the part and you have to go back and change it to make it sit better. Happened to me a few times doing this record we just released!
4. If you could play any show in the world, what would it be?
I’d love to play on a rooftop in NYC on New Year’s Eve! I feel like that would be insane. That or any arena/stadium in Japan will do 🙂 haha!
5. What do you consider your biggest musical success?
Probably Royals, it has millions of plays/views on every platform it’s available on! (Spotify, YouTube, etc) I’m hoping soon from now I can say our debut record “The Broken”!
6. What inspired you to start making music?
My dad and uncle. They always have had a band and practiced at my house on the weekends. Being around it so much just made me so interested in it, and then, of course, I found bands like The Used, My Chemical Romance, Avenged Sevenfold, and Asking Alexandria that truly made me pick up an instrument and learn their songs.
7. If you could hear any person living or dead sing to you, who would it be?
Jared Leto. Hands down.
8. Who, aside from any band or musician, is your biggest influence?
My family. They’re so proud of what I do and respect it so much. The love and support from them and my girlfriend have truly kept me going throughout these years!
9. What’s your favorite book?
Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life 1 and 2 by Drunvalo Melchizedek! I love sacred geometry and overall creation, reading this book with an open mind changed my life in a positive way!
10. What do you like to do other than music?
I love video games, cooking, spending time with my girlfriend, family and friends, playing with my animals, and going shopping!
11. Who is your favorite musical artist?
Right now? One Ok Rock. Absolutely hooked on them. Every album. I can’t have a favorite artist of all time, cuz a week from now I’ll tell you someone else haha!
12. What’s one piece of advice you have for young musicians?
Play music for the fun of it, not to make it big and be famous and be rich. Do it for the love and passion of music and to inspire others. Play with all your heart and don’t let anyone ever prevent you from doing what you love. Music is very powerful and can change the world in a positive way, and you can be the one to help lead that big revolution one day!
13. Lastly, what’s your lucky number?
12 – Don’t know why, just always liked it.
You can follow Youth In Revolt on Instagram at @youthinrevolt, and be sure to check them out on iTunes and Spotify!