1. First off, who are you and what genre of music do you make?
We are Parting Gift from Manchester, England. We aren’t big fans of genres, although calling us a post-hardcore/alternative rock/metal band wouldn’t be a far cry from reality.
2. If you had to describe your music with a color, what would it be?
Black. Pink in some places.
3. What’s the biggest struggle you have when it comes to creating?
Drawing the line between what’s good and what isn’t.
4. If you could play any show in the world, what would it be?
Vans Warped Tour.
5. What do you consider your biggest musical success?
Having people scream our lyrics back at us during our first string of shows ever is by far the biggest musical success we have achieved. Knowing our music resonates with others feels amazing.
6. What inspired you to start making music?
A period of struggle and heartbreak inspired us to move on from the past together through this band. Our paths coincided in the most opportune way possible as our situations were suspiciously similar.
7. If you could hear any person living or dead sing to you, who would it be?
If Robert Smith could tuck us in every night, that would be great. It isn’t difficult to guess which The Cure song he’d sing.
8. Who, aside from any band or musician, is your biggest influence?
Literature and poetry are the biggest source of inspiration for this band.
9. What’s your favorite book?
Speaking for myself (Pete), all Alan Watts books I’ve read have been amazing. Particularly Nature, Man and Woman. The World According to Garp by John Irving changed a lot for me when I first read it. On the Road by Jack Kerouac is a true classic that every millennial should read. Immortality by Milan Kundera deserves a mention too.
10. What do you like to do other than music?
Absolutely nothing. This is all we have.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist?
The music we love spans from Tycho to Behemoth. It’s very difficult to pinpoint one particular artist.
12. What’s one piece of advice you have for young musicians?
Don’t compare yourself to others all the time. Do your own thing 100% of the time.
13. Lastly, what’s your lucky number?
You can follow Parting Gift on Twitter at @PartingGiftBand, and be sure to check them out on iTunes and Spotify!